Wednesday, February 20, 2008

HOMEWORK!

Yes, my dear ones, there is homework before the first class. Fear Not! It is easy!

1) Read the blog entry "Our First Class" below. Be on time, please. Bring comfy clothes and water, paper, pen.

2) Choose a sonnet that speaks to you. Don't make it hard, just pick one you like. (Tip: You can tell a lot by the first line. Feel free to skim.) There is a link to the full text of all the sonnets in the "links" section, and I have listed some well-known faves by number. (Shakespeare's sonnets don't have titles, they have numbers.) Print out the full text of the sonnet of your choice in a large, clear font so it is easy to read. Bring 2 copies with you to class.

3) Read one of the summaries of Measure for Measure listed in the "links" section, so you have any idea of the story. You are welcome to read the full text of the play (listed under "links" as well) but you don't gotta. Yet.

I am beginning to understand that blogging is difficult for some of you. We will work through this together. My hope is that we can all use this blog as a clearing house for information. That saves me the hassle of leaving the same voice-mail 10 times and/or typing out emails that might not make it through everyone's spam filter. And you can check the blog any time day or night to find out whatever you might need to know about class. Sure sounds good, let's see how it works!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey althea, so sry but i am not the sharpest tool in the shead... i figured out your site just fine once i got onto it! thank you for helping me out with gettin on here. I dont have a printer so if i get back to ya will you mail a copy of the script to me? that'd be awesome! i will get back to ya, maybe not tonight but i will.
Thanks again,
sydney

Althea Hukari said...

Dear Syd,
You are plenty sharp, my friend... Absolutely, I'll send you a copy of some of the sonnets, and the play summary. (You can also get online at the public library and print what you need from there for maybe 10 cents a page.)I think there are a couple of copies of the play floating around and I will try to nab one for you by Monday night.

see you then,
a